How will you be reflecting this Canada Day 2021?
This year, with the recent discoveries of more than 1,000 unmarked graves and the remains of hundreds of children at former residential school sites, many are choosing to use this day to reflect on our nation’s past rather than to celebrate.
Today is a day to mourn the lives lost, to educate ourselves about Canada’s horrific violent history, to acknowledge the injustices that still remain, and to support and stand in solidarity with Indigenous communities.
I will be reflecting today.
If you’re looking for a place to start as you reflect, here’s a list of resources you can check out.
Here’s to listening, learning, growing, and being better. xx, Amanda
Listen & Learn:
Stories have played, and will continue to play, a role in educating Canadians, young and old, about the terrible legacy of Residential Schools. There’s no excuse not to know the history or its impact. – David A. Robertson (Indigenous Author)
- It’s Our Time: The AFN Education Toolkit – Assembly of First Nations
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission Reports – National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation
- Films by Indigenous Filmmakers and Allies – National Film Board of Canada
- The Residential School System – First Nations & Indigenous Studies, The University of British Columbia
- Residential Schools in Canada – The Canadian Encyclopedia
Donate To Organizations Supporting Indigenous Communities:
- Native Canadian Centre of Toronto
- First Nations Child & Family Caring Society
- Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Fund
- Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
- KUU-US Crisis Line Society
- Native Women’s Association of Canada
- Canadian Roots Exchange
- True North Aid
- Tk’emlúps te Secwe̓pemc
- Legacy Of Hope Foundation
- Indian Residential School Survivor Society
- Reconciliation Canada
- Orange Shirt Day
If you or someone you know has been affected by the residential school system, you may contact the National Residential Schools Crisis Line at 1-866-925-4419 for help and immediate emotional support. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.