Christmas Sugar Cookies — Is it really Christmas without sugar cookies?!
Sugar cookies always remind me of my childhood. We would bake them every Christmas. And decorating them with sprinkles was the best part!
The other day, I came across a recipe for these yummies on Pinterest by Owl Baking, and I was inspired to take a trip down memory lane. And what a sweet (pun intended!) trip it was.
These little cookies were so simple to make and offered the perfect nostalgic treat for the holidays.
If you’re also looking for a bit of nostalgia or just in the mood for a yummy treat, give this sugar cookie recipe a try! And take a peek at my baking adventure below. ?
Happy baking! xx, Amanda
Related: Christmas Tree Cheese Board
what you need:
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ sticks butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
how you make them:
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla, egg, and egg yolk and beat until well combined.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add half of dry mixture into wet and mix on low speed until combined, then add remaining dry mixture into wet and mix until combined. Be sure to scrape sides of bowl as you go.
- On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out dough until about 1/4 inch thick. Using cookie cutters of your choice, cut cookies and place them on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bring together excess dough, roll out again, and use cookie cutters once more. Keep repeating until most (if not all) dough is used up. (a note: the dough gets a bit sticky as you go, so re-flouring your surface and pin as you go helps to manage it)
- Decorate cookies with sprinkles (yay!)
- Bake for 13 – 15 minutes in a preheated 325 F degree oven. Keep an eye on cookies and remove when edges begin to turn golden brown.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Let’s chat! Will you be trying these Christmas Sugar Cookies??
Photos by Tulip and Sage