I’m a huge fan of Kale Chips – they have the crisp of a regular potato chip but none of the guilt that comes along with eating them. These make the perfect little healthy snack and take very little time and effort to make. These homemade kale chips are such a yummy and easy way to eat your greens and are incredibly simple to make.
You only need the following four ingredients:
⇾ one bunch of kale, rinsed, dried, de-stemmed, chopped into bite-sized pieces (this usually leaves me with approximately 9 cups of kale leaves)
⇾ extra virgin olive oil (you will need enough to coat the leaves, this may vary if you have more or less leaves to coat)
⇾ freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt (you will use these to your taste)
This is how I make them:
I start by placing my kale leaves on a lined baking sheet in one layer. The chips will cook evenly if they are placed in one layer. If you have too many leaves and one layer is not possible, use two baking sheets and divide leaves onto the two. If you are baking in two baking sheets, you may need to rotate trays mid-bake so that they cook evenly (i.e. move bottom tray to the top oven rack and vice versa).
You want to drizzle olive oil onto the kale leaves and massage the oil into the leaves. The leaves should all be coated. I haven’t specified an amount of oil because this will all depend on how big your kale bunch is.
The salt and pepper will also be to your liking. I suggest starting with a little bit at first, tasting, then adding more if needed. Just be sure to keep mixing your leaves as you add salt and pepper, to ensure they are all evenly seasoned.
You want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake your kale leaves in this preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until they have reached the crispness of your liking. I keep mine in for the full 20 minutes, that’s how I enjoy them but to each their own!
And that’s it, you’re done!
I’ve left a printer-friendly version of this recipe for you below.
Read more: 8 HEALTHY RECIPES WITH GUACAMOLE
4-Ingredient Kale Chips – A Tasty & Healthy Snack
- 1 bunch kale rinsed, dried, de-stemmed, chopped into bite-sized pieces (approximately 9 cups of kale leaves)
- extra virgin olive oil (enough to coat the leaves, the amount may vary)
- freshly ground black pepper (to your taste)
- kosher salt (to your taste)
- Place kale leaves on a lined baking sheet in one layer. If too many leaves for one sheet, divide leaves onto two baking sheets.
- Drizzle olive oil onto the kale leaves and massage the oil into the leaves. Be sure that all leaves have been coated.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste, being sure to mix all leaves as you go to ensure even distribution. If you are unsure of how much salt and pepper to use, I suggest starting with a little bit prior to baking, then adding a bit more once you’ve tasted them in the end, if needed.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake your kale leaves for 15-20 minutes until they have reached the crispness of your liking.
Have you tried these homemade kale chips? Let me know below!
Thanks so much for stopping by! <3
Photos by Tulip and Sage